A Woman Under the Influence (John Cassavetes,1974)
Greatest Hits for Pro-Choicing:
1. A fetus can’t choose to live in the world, a fetus can’t choose to not live in the world, and a fetus sure can’t, and didn’t, choose to get conceived in the first place.
2. It’s rude not to abort a fetus. It’s like your friends forcing you to hang out with them for several years at a theme park that hurts to walk in and all the drinks cost too much. You can’t stop asking yourself why you’re there, and thinking of how you’d rather be sleeping—which is like being dead. Even if the theme park were super awesome, the actual scenario here is that your friends FORCE you to come along. I don’t care how good it is, it’s rude, and you don’t even like it.
3. Heaven sounds like a nice place, and an aborted fetus gets a sure spot on the eternal expressway with no chance of botching the job if it departs before it has a chance to “know what to do and do it not.” Sounds kind of like a favor to me.
4. Stop talking about the unborn not having a voice. What the hell would it talk about if it did? It’s a nobody, and could never be a contender.
5. Being unborn and being born are two life experiences I have; but, I’ll always be jealous of the kids who were given the upper hand: the ones whose parents loved and respected their kids enough to say, “Not you, not here, not yet.”
6. When nine months passes and a child enters the world un-aborted, that child cries.
by (AT) Newman